Thoughtful Self Care & Why It Matters
HEY YOU! YES, YOU. . . . . Can you just slow down for a second? Take a deep breath . . . now take another . . . Ok, one last one. Now sit for a minute and count to 10. Now how do you feel? Are you more calm? Has your heart rate […]
HEY YOU! YES, YOU. . . . .
Can you just slow down for a second?
Take a deep breath . . . now take another . . .
Ok, one last one.
Now sit for a minute and count to 10.
Now how do you feel? Are you more calm? Has your heart rate slowed down? Do you feel a little more grounded and in the moment?
I assume you answered yes to one or all of these questions.
That’s the beauty of just simply slowing down and taking a deep breath and being present.
What exactly do we mean by “Slow Beauty” in the spa industry?
This approach to beauty is much more thoughtful. It means taking the time to evaluate our products, our services, our community approach and the impact on the environment, people and animals.
It means being mindful and choosing high quality sustainable, ethical, and consciously created products that last.
It also means taking stock of our own version of beauty and learning to live with peace inside our own skin.
Did you know that the cosmetic industry is one of the most wasteful industries on the planet?
Producing over 120 billion units of packaging a year and making up ⅓ of landfill waste.
It also feeds on insecurities. Telling us how we should look and how we need to get there. Putting huge emphasis on “anti-aging” as if women cannot get or look old.
We want to change that.
1. Evaluating every product’s packaging and expiry dates; recyclable, low-waste, biodegradable.
2. Choosing products made with non toxic nourishing ingredients
3. Avoiding quick fixes that compromise your health
4. Favor products that prioritize whole health
5. Use trustworthy aligned suppliers who source ethically
6. Educate people on how to read their cosmetic labels ot make informed choices
7. Give people the tools they need to take care of themselves without having to follow expensive trends or fit into any esthetic mold
8. Provide modalities for everyone to engage in self care regardless of status, background or financial standing.
We also practice slow beauty within the services we offer and our customer service.
What does this look like at the spa?
- A holistic approach to our services concentrating on ancient techniques that heal the mind, body and the skin.
- Creating a conscious space mindful of healthy escapism, tranquility and introspection where you can slow down and experience the moment in detail
- Skin care lines and products that align with our values
- Staff that share the same passion for slow, mindful beauty
What does this look like at home?
Everyday tasks that are usually mindless now have a lot more meaning, instead of rushing to wash your face or throw on makeup everything is done with a little more purpose. That doesn’t mean it has to take a million years, it just means thinking about why you’re doing it while you’re doing it so that you are present in the delivery and mindful in the process.
This simple change makes a world of difference.
We are so used to doing everything at 100 MPH so, when you make the conscious choice to slow down through daily tasks and focus on what you are doing it becomes almost meditative and calming in what can sometimes be a busy stressful day.
These little things done with a lot of attention can lift us up for the rest of the day.
I hope this sheds some light on something very sacred to not just our practice but our everyday life. Learning to slow down has been imperative to our mental health, our state of mind and the way we move through this crazy world.
We encourage you to start with one simple task today.. Something as simple as washing your face or putting on your hand cream.
Slow it down, think about what you’re doing and do it with purpose, the result will speak for itself.